26/12/2014

From Ocean to Alps

After staying one day in Dunedin, I took a bus to Oamaru. By this trick I saved 110km of cycling on a busy highway, and so I started the Alps2Ocean (http://www.alps2ocean.com/)bicycle track from Oamaru. This trail is designed to cycle from Mt. Cook to Oamaru, but my plan was to do the opposite, and to continue from Mt. Cook to Christchurch, which is also one cycling track.

The Alps2Ocean follows mostly Waitaki river which is an important source of energy for New Zealand. On my way to Mt. Cook I passed several hydro power plants, dams and channels.

16.12. Oamaru - Duntroon, 76km
17.12. Duntroon - Ahuriri River Campsite, 84km
18.12. Ahuriri River Campsite - Lake Pukaki (Southern Campsite), 99km
19.12. Lake Pukaki - Mt. Cook, 78km

From Dunedin to Oamaru by bus

Easy to proceed by following these signs

Elephant Rocks

Waitaki Power Station

My first catch from Deep Stream!



The best dinner I've had during my trip

Lake Ohau

In Twizel there was a packet waiting. New poles for my tent, because the original poles started cracking mysteriously. Thanks for Poppies Cafe for receiving the parcel!
Lake Pukaki

Time for freshup!


Mt. Cook in the other end of Lake Pukaki


Mt. Cook lower summit in the middle

Tasman Glacier and Lake Tasman

Staying overnight under the bridge. I dodged h the heavy wind and rain that night.

Lake Pukaki and Power Station B of Lake Tekapo channels

1 comment:

  1. Catch of the day looks nice. And life seems to been wonderfull. Arja and Hentti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!